Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On turning 30...


My friends are all turning 30 this year.  Big parties are being planned.  Barn dances, and champagne bars and murder mystery dinner parties.  A ladies trip to Nashville in an RV.  30 is a big deal.  Clearly. 

For the last 10 years, I’ve dreaded 30.  I’ve marched through my twenties with a slow sense of doom.  I like being the youngest.  I hated being 22 and the oldest one at college.  I loved being 23 and the sprite youngun’ in the workplace.  Each year I moved farther and farther away from that youngest position.  Now, I’m older than most of my sons’ teachers.  I’m older than a lot of the hip, hot celebrities.  I was a lot older than most of the Olympic athletes.  I am not, however, older than my husband. 

Recently though, I’ve started to enjoy the impending arrival of the thirties.  Thirty is bringing with it a sense of peace that everyone talked about accompanying the big three- O, but I never actually believed.  I’m feeling surer of myself than ever before.  I’m tired of waiting until I have the perfect body to wear certain kinds of clothes (example: shorts)…  so I’m wearing them now.  (The irony of course being that after 2 kids, my body is much further away from perfect than it was 7 years ago.  Why didn’t I just wear the shorts then??) (Additional side note- I do know where to draw the line in regards to my body type and certain styles of clothes.  Currently that line is a romper.) 

I feel settled with who I am and how God created me to be.  For example, I feel surer of where my gifts lie.  In my early twenties I could have never honestly and confidently answered the question “what are you good at?”  I would have given some self-deprecating joke answer while inwardly burning to name the gifts I dreamed to be worthy of but not trusting my own assessment of my strengths.  In my early twenties I let others tell me what my gifts were; if they didn’t recognize ability of mine, then it must not exist.  Nowadays, on the brink of thirty, I could tell you what gifts God gave me.  And, equally, I can tell you what gifts he didn’t bestow on me.  I’m at peace with both.  I can name proudly what I can and can’t do well without needing someone else’s validation that the former is true and the latter doesn’t matter in regards to their approval of me. 

I’m more at peace with my differences these days as well.  Recently I had a conversation with a friend that highlighted a way that we were inherently different.  In my early twenties that difference would have made me feel wrong.  I would have felt equal parts depressed that I was created so differently and pressured to change.  In my mid-twenties I would have felt defensive, deep down still believing that somehow the problem was mine, that I should start acting differently, but outwardly trying to cast blame on the other party for her supposed shortcoming.  Today, on the brink of 30 I just felt peace.  Peace with how God created me and how He created her.  I’m happy with how God created me and willing to accommodate the differences of others in whatever way brings about the most peace.

This self-assuredness has had another beautiful effect.  The insecurity of my twenties is washing away and leaving my heart and brain space to focus on others.  Which is a relief because truthfully, after 29 years, I’m starting to get sick of myself.  I no longer spend conversations inwardly worried about how others perceive me.  I don’t calculate how many cringe worthy statements I made at the party and replay them in my mind for days afterwards.  Blessedly, the security that thirty is bringing with it has allowed me to use all that mental space to think about others- a novel idea I know.  I can notice how others are behaving at a party.  I’m more in tune with the body language and emotions of others.      

(Of course, this lack of self-focus does have one unfortunate consequence.)

In my twenties I heard of this phenomenon.  I heard others talk about the confidence and sureness that comes with thirty.   The freedom that I am starting to experience.  It sounded amazing.  I desired it.  Hoped for it.  At times even strived for it.  But just like weight loss only seems to happen to me when I’m not trying, this kind of peace only comes with time.  It only comes with the turbulent changes and lessons learned in our twenties.  This peace has been hard earned with every awkward encounter, mistake made, and embarrassing failure of the past ten years.  It came with realizing my fears and discovering that life went on.  It’s not a cheap, fake peace.  It’s real and deep and true.  If thirty feels this good I can’t wait for forty…

No comments:

Post a Comment