Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dublin Dreaming

photo source
During my junior year of college I studied abroad in Ireland.  Dublin to be exact.  I am the daughter of a man who traveled to Ireland at least a hundred times.  I’m not really exaggerating here either.  My father would go there every chance he got, and as an United Airlines employee who enjoyed free airfare, he got a lot of chances. 

All of my friends were planning on studying abroad so in the fall of our junior year we started mapping our adventures.  Sarah would be studying in Nottingham, Whit in Paris.  Shan and Mal went to Barcelona, Afeld to Madrid.  I waffled between Italy and Dublin ultimately choosing my Irish roots because I didn’t want to have to deal with learning a foreign language.  And because Guinness.  Then I found out I could study acting for a semester even though it wasn’t my major and I was sold.  For four whole months I could pretend to be the theater major I always dreamed of.  And I could do it in Ireland with cute Irish boys with cute Irish accents.  Really, what more did I need?

photo source
I’ve found myself thinking a lot about this semester abroad recently.  Our friends Mary and Niall came over for dinner one night last fall.  Niall is Irish, born and raised outside of Dublin.  Naturally the semester abroad photo album had to be busted out.  We flipped through the pages, Niall knowing just about every spot with very few clues in the details of the picture.  It had been a while since I perused the pages of this scrapbook.

photo source
 I can’t think about Dublin without remembering the buskers, street musicians that played up and down Grafton street, and the very distinct child buskers who sang in whiny, high pitched voices all sounding the same.  They must have been trained somewhere together.  I can’t think about Dublin without remembering the huge stack of books I read while I was there.  After coming off a tremendously busy season before study abroad, having the time to read and read and read felt amazing.
photo source

I remember the feeling of living in a city, the ways it rejuvenated me every morning, stirring something deep in my bones.  I remember dark pubs that turned into weird nightclubs after a certain hour and an Irish boy named Tommy who tried to kiss me in one.  I panicked and put my hand in front of his mouth.  I’m not known for my smooth moves.

I can picture the pubs and coffee shops where I studied and read.  The department store I bought the one pair of black stretchy pants I would wear daily for the next four months having not known to pack black “movement” clothes for theater classes.  I can hear the Irish music radiating from Oliver St. John Goagarty’s and smell the cigarette smoke that thickly filled that pub on that last day before the no cigarette ban went into effect at midnight.  My mind wanders down the path to the Tesco where we bought our groceries, mine an assortment of peanut butter, rice cakes, green peppers and nutella.  Always nutella.

There are so many smells and sounds and images that Ireland conjures up.  Beyond that, the greatest thing it invokes is a feeling.  It’s a feeling of excitement and happiness, energy and endless possibility.  Studying abroad was four months of endless possibility.  Paris for the weekend?  Sure!  Guinness for breakfast?  Absolutely!  Every week held a new adventure and when studying is done in a century old pub off of Grafton Street, even studying is an awesome endeavor.

It is sometimes frustrating, in this season of small kids, and cheerios and endless monotony, how far from my study abroad experience life has taken me.  I wish I could go back and do it again.  They don’t tell you, when you’re in it, how once-in-a-lifetime this experience is.  Or maybe they do and you’re just too young and foolish to understand.

photo source

I know I’ll be back.  It’s top of my bucket list to run the Dublin marathon and show Tommy (my husband, not the poor Irish lad I rejected) the place that holds a piece of my heart.  And my siblings and I hope to some day take a portion of my father’s remains there, certain he would want a piece of him to reside in his favorite place on earth.  In the meantime I’ll just stare longingly at the pictures in the InstaIreland instagram feed and remind myself that there’s still time.  And maybe Monster or Toots or Red will choose to study there in twenty years.  In which case I better start saving now for the airfare to visit them…


Pictures courtesy of the InstaIreland instagram feed, my newest obsession.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment