Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The How We Found Out Story...



The story starts a week earlier at about 6 pm upon returning from the farm. It starts with one line and not two. It starts with a sheepish confession to my husband, “I took a pregnancy test. It was negative.” “How do you feel about that?” “Kinda sad.”
Fast-forward one week. Still no tell tale morning cramps. No ribbons of pink blood in the toilet. My mind keeps returning to the instructions on the pregnancy test box. If you still have not gotten your period in one week take another test. And tests are most accurate when taken first thing in the morning. I’m not pregnant. But those pee sticks come in packs of two. And I have one left… Morning. Wait until the morning.
4:45 am. I have to pee. I have to take that test with my first pee of the day. It is waaaaaaaaaaay to early to be up. I’ll pee on the stick and go back to bed. The pee stick will still be there in 2 hours. So I do that. And, because I really don’t think I’m pregnant and I’m only taking this test for due diligence, I am miraculously able to sleep.
6:30 am. Now Ireally do have to get up. As I shuffle to the bathroom to pee again I remember what I left on the bathroom sink two hours ago. Bleary eyed and still not quite all together there I pick up the pee stick of destiny. One dark line. And one not so dark line. I look at the “pregnant” picture on the box. It has 2 lines but they both appear dark. What does one dark and one light line mean? Am I only a little pregnant? Did I leave it out too long and some how magically a second line appeared? Could I actually, really be pregnant?
“Holy Crap! Tommy!”
He bolts out of bed like a fireman who’s just heard the bell. “I don’t know what this means?! I think I’m pregnant!”
I show him the pee stick and explain my two dark line/one dark, one light line conundrum. “I think this means your pregnant,” he says, a little too uncertainly for my liking.
Needing to feel 100% certain, I tell him I’m going to CVS to get one of those idiot proof pee sticks that says “pregnant” or “not pregnant” and because I was planning on working out this morning anyway, I startwalking there.
And because it’s still not 7am I have to stand outside the CVS with a few homeless people and the other creeps like me who are waiting for the CVS to open up. And because it’s CVS and not Walgreens, I have to ask the manager to unlock the “family planning “ section where condoms and lube reside next to the pregnancy tests.
And I run home, idiot-proof pee sticks in hand. Tommy’s hopping out of the shower as I pee on the stick. Then, he clad in only a towel, we proceed to argue about whether or not we will watch the flashing clock until it settles on the one or two words that could change our lives forever (his preferred plan) or walk away for 3-5 minutes and come back for the results (my choice). And then, as I frantically try to peel him away from the pee stick and into another room, the flashing stops.
Pregnant.
And suddenly Tommy has enveloped me in his trademark bear hug and life has changed in a moment. We have just gone from two to three.

No comments:

Post a Comment