Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Every Family has a Few Crazies


I came across these verses today:

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

It’s from Galatians 6.  I was heartened by verse nine, but then, to be honest, I wanted to stop there.  I don’t particularly like that tenth verse, the last part of it at least.  It makes my stomach turn a little.  Verse ten is always hard for me and I find myself cringing a little when I come to that final command, wishing Paul had just stopped with “let us do good to all people.”  I can handle that part.  It's the "especially those who belong to the family of believers" that gets me every time.

On the surface I could say I don’t like that second part of verse ten because it has an “in vs. out” quality.  It implies, to me, that one group is better than the other.  That one should get priority.  And, it part, this is true.  I don’t like this verse because it makes me a little frustrated on behalf of those not in the family of believers.  Why especially them?

But my “gut-reaction” to the second part of verse ten has a lot more to do with this family of believers that drive me crazy.  Particularly the ones that think differently than me.  The ones who claim to be the same as me but act (in my opinion) poorly.  The Mark Driscolls and Westboro Baptists.  I don’t like that last part because I don’t want to be called to help those believers.  I feel they give me a bad name and I don’t want to associate with them.  Their words and actions make my blood boil and I don’t want anyone to mistake me for them.  I don’t want them to be “in.”

But isn’t this attitude just as bad as that of those rallying to keep the “sinners” out of the “saints’” table?  Isn’t that caring more about my identity than my identity in Christ?  My blood boils when I see Christians treating my non-believing friends as unworthy, unloved and less than.  And then I turn around and treat my brothers and sisters the same way.

I may not get to pick them, but they’re still family.  And I suppose that grace towards even the most frustrating and repugnant family members is an excellent way to prove that “everybody’s in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment