Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The End of Dreaming



I have a confession to make.  I’ve been struggling with some big feelings.  Some ugly jealous/crazy resentful feelings.  There seem to be a number of people as I scroll through my Instagram and Twitter feeds that are doing. big. things.  Living the kind of dream life I’ve long given up.  Traveling all over the world for work or pleasure.  Creating something from nothing and actually following through on the things that I’ve always thought I’d like to do someday.

The part that really frosts my flakes is that these women are in my life stage.  The “living with littles and desperately trying to survive” life stage.  Only they don’t seem desperate to survive.  They’re thriving, actually doing the things I gave up on, chalking it up as impossible to do with kids this young.

I used to be a big dreamer.  I loved envisioning what great adventures my life would hold.  When I was sixteen my psychology teacher had us create a “life to do list” where we listed all the things we wanted to do in our life.  No aspiration was too big or too unachievable to be put on the list.  At sixteen I knew I had all the time in the world to touch a giraffe, win an Oscar, perform on Broadway and go on a cruise.  For the next ten years I kept that list at hand copying it in the first page of every new journal I started, crossing off the things I’d done and adding more dreams as I imagined them. 

In high school and college the endless possibilities of “what life could look life” were exciting and enticing.  Where would I go to college?  Who would I meet?  What would I study?  And then, whom would I marry?  What would my career look like?  Where would I live?  The endless combinations of decisions left to be made created an environment ripe for dreaming for me.  Anything could still happen.  I had no idea what my life would look like.  I loved it.

I’m finding myself, in my more dramatic moments, feeling as though I’ve reached the end of dreaming.   So many of the “big” questions have been answered for me.  I know whom I married.  We are currently shopping for our forever house, answering the question of where we will live.  Two kids in, the “what will I be?” feels pretty limited, at least in this young kids stage.  We’ve begun to settle into our life in a way that feels pretty final.  Somewhere in the last few years I stopped putting that life to do list on the first page of my journals, stopped reminding myself of the adventures I wanted to have, stopped dreaming up new adventures to add.

I’m a “P” on the Meyers-Briggs personality test, which means, among other things, that I am more comfortable before a decision is made.  I like the open-endedness, the unknown, the anticipation of what may be.  Making a decision always comes with a little bit of a let down for me.  It’s why I never find out the gender of my kids beforehand, why I never let Tommy tell me what he got me for Christmas and birthdays and why, while I love my tattoo, I still had a bit of a hard time with the permanence of it all.

Tommy on the other hand is as “J” as they come on the Meyers-Briggs.  He loathes the decision making process and just wants to come to a conclusion.  I can see him getting more and more excited as we settle into life.  He needs roots and permanence to feel comfortable.  It’s something we are constantly navigating in our marriage.

It’s normal, necessary even to find ourselves in this place of settling in.  And in quiet, still moments I can be honest enough to admit it’s a cheap fix to blame my end of dreaming on this season of life.  Having forever questions answered doesn’t mean it’s really forever.  Or that there’s nothing left to anticipate.

No, if I’m being really honest, I’ve stopped dreaming because I’ve given up on myself a little.  It was easy to speak aloud my dreams in high school and college because there were so many of them and the possibility seemed endless.  As I’ve gotten older I’ve had to take a crash course in “realistic limitations.”  A job where I travel and teach and write?  The logistics of figuring out how that works with kids and the part time job I already have feels like a mountain not even worth attempting to climb.  Traveling the world with Tommy?  That takes real dollars and those little people cost a lot.  And don’t travel well.

Facing the reality of what it will take to make some of these dreams happen have me too exhausted to even start trying.   It feels too impossible to see the light of day.

And if I’m being even more gut-level honest here (and I might as well go all the way) there is nothing more vulnerable and risky to me than saying I’m want to do something that may not come to fruition.  I have been known to follow through on things I absolutely don’t want to do anymore only because I declared publicly that I was going to do that thing.  (This is the only reason I’ve completed three marathons and participated in natural childbirth.)  The potential shame of putting it out there and failing keeps me from dreaming at all.

But I’m trying to walk into vulnerability these days.  And I think the practice of imagining adventures for my life is important in and of itself.  I need there to be possibility and anticipation or I start to feel full of ennui.  I get all Ecclesiastical and begin declaring everything to be meaningless.  I need to dream big dreams because it keeps me engaged in life, makes me hopeful and happy.  I need to dare to dream despite the realistic limitations because it is a practice in faithfulness to God and myself.   I need to share those dreams with others because it keeps me open and vulnerable and accountable to at least trying.  And I need to have grace for those dreams that are deferred or simply left undone in twenty years.  I don’t chastise or shame my sixteen-year-old self for daring to believe she could win an Oscar or perform on Broadway.  Rather I smile at the bigness of her goals and breadth of her self-belief.  I expect fifty-year-old me will feel the same about my thirty-year-old dreams as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment