Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

For Charity



This is my friend Charity.  She’s pretty beautiful right?  The thing about Charity is that for all the beautiful exterior she has been blessed with there is an even deeper, truer beautiful going on in her heart.  And when I think about Char that is the first word that comes to mind: beautiful.

Charity is one of those people who make things beautiful.  She has an eye for beauty and a knack for creating it.  Her home is just lovely, but not it a stiff magaziney kind of way.  It’s more of a comfortable, cozy, plop yourself on the couch and soak up the georgous décor while you enjoy even more meaningful conversation.   She brings out the beauty in others as well.  Generous with praise and encouragement, you can’t help but feel good around Charity.  It’s as though Char has special glasses that allow her to recognize all the beauty God has created in this world and instead of just coveting all that wonderfulness Char spends her days reflecting it back to everyone and everything all around her.

Another word that comes to mind with this dear friend is home.  We joke with Charity about her ability to nest.  She makes things feel homey.  Even better though, she makes people feel at home.  Deeply intuitive and empathetic, Char goes above and beyond to make people feel comfortable.  She knows how to put people at ease and who in the room needs that the most.  While I’m sure in awkward situations this can feel like a curse, she’s the kind of friend you want at your dinner party, particularly when you’re worried the guests may not gel.

Intentional.  That’s my final word for my friend.  More than anyone I know Charity lives with intention.  She asks the hard questions and wrestles with the answers.   Intentional with time and words, Charity fosters community with those around her so well.  She is intentional in her own journey too.  This past year life has thrown a number of punches at my sweet friend.  With grace, patience, forgiveness, thoughtfulness, humility and carefulness Charity has risen above what would likely have crumbled a lesser woman.  It certainly would have wrecked me.   And yet with each hurdle Charity faced it head on, intentionally and purposefully, learning and growing from every hard conversation, frustrating moment, horrible news, and painful problem.  I have learned so much watching her this year.

I could go on for pages about this lady.  I could tell you about what an awesome wife she is.  Or overwhelm you with examples of the kind of incredible mother she is.  I could probably write books about her gift of friendship.  I’m pretty sure she is my son’s first crush.  At least once a week he asks to look at “Aunt Chariby” pictures on facebook.
  
“She wears life well.”  That’s a phrase that pops up and bumps around the life of my sweet friend Charity.  Charity wants a life well worn. For the past 30 years she has done just that.  Evolving and growing and changing, learning from each triumph and heartache, soaking up all the love, laughter, joy and beauty God has bestowed on her, Charity has worn life well.  And I have no doubt that she will continue to do this all the rest of her days.  I’m excited to see what her well-worn life will look like at 40, 50, 60 and beyond.  Beautiful I’m sure.

This weekend Charity turns thirty and I’m excited to celebrate this dear one.  Happy birthday sweet friend.  

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing post about an amazing woman! Well put Col...

    ReplyDelete