Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Let's talk about SEX (part one)


Around the World Wide Web there has been a lot of discussion about s-e-x.  Sarah Bessey wrote a truly beautiful post about no longer believing the lie that she is damaged goods.  Rachel Held Evans and Elizabeth Esther chimed in as well.  And suddenly everyone everywhere is speaking up about the damage the purity culture has done and the unnecessary shame it has brought.

When I read Sarah’s article I wanted to stand up on my chair and shout YES!, fist frozen in the air a la Kenneth on 30 Rock.  I wanted to sit next to her 19-year-old self at that youth meeting and tell her that she was not a cup full of other people’s spit lugies. 

Because I get it.  I spent college thinking my faith amounted to not committing the two big sins: underage drinking (and general drunkenness) and shacking (which included, most obviously, sex, but also sleeping over at a boy’s dorm/frat house/apartment).  My faith was all about my witness to the love of Christ.  And somehow during those four years of college the love of Christ was encompassed by abstinence from alcohol and the opposite sex.  They shall know we are Christians by our sober mornings waking up in our own beds.  That’s how the hymn goes right?

Then I turned 21 and was allowed to legally drink and suddenly my status as a Christian was a little shaky.  I wasn’t that Christian girl who didn’t drink anymore.

Once I got married and sex was allowed the crisis of faith really set in.  Suddenly I had nothing left to witness.  All those things that had set me apart from others were no longer forbidden.  How was I supposed to bear witness to the different life Christ calls us to now?

I had bought the lie that in order to be a “real Christian” you had to stay a virgin until your wedding night.  Of course, if you happened to have had sex before meeting and falling in love with Christ, then you were ok—as long as you abstained from sex from that point forward (until your wedding night).  And it seemed to me that if something happened, and you slipped up post-Christian life, well then, as long as you confessed it to everyone you knew and never did it again then I guess you could still be a card carrying Christian. 

But to be a practicing, Jesus loving Christian while also be having continued sex?  No way.  You just couldn’t be one while doing the other.  In the early days of my faith I was told that just wasn’t allowed.  You were lying to yourself and God if you tried to claim both.

And also, sex was the only sin that really mattered to God.  So just don’t do it.


The irony is that while I held on white knuckled to my virginity until the ripe old age of 24, I wasn’t exactly the poster child for purity.  The virginity I was holding on to was somewhat of a technicality.  Technically we didn’t do anything before our wedding night that would have gotten me pregnant.  But practically we did a whole bunch of stuff that I’m pretty sure Jesus would have put in the “lust category.”  But since my technical virginity was still in tact I figured I was fine to still call myself a Christian.

Now I obviously see the ridiculousness in this.  I’ve walked this road with many friends who’ve struggled with sex and loved God at the same time.  But first I married a man who spent most of his 20’s doing exactly that.

In the begining I wrestled with judgment over my soon-to-be husband’s past.  He wasn’t one of those Christians that had just slipped up once.  He was someone that loved Jesus and also had sex outside of marriage multiple times, with multiple people.  He was someone that in college I would have written off as “not a legit Christian.”  I would have brushed off any wisdom he may have had to offer because I had mentally wiped him of his official Jesus follower status when I realized he was fornicating.  I would have viewed him as a project.  Someone I could pray, influence and persuade into the serious, chaste Jesus following club. 

The reality was simple though: he was someone that struggled with sex, failing time and time again in the same way that I struggled with gossip, failing time and time again.

Only gossip is a much more acceptable sin. 

And so you see, I really do agree with Sarah, Elizabeth and Rachel.  As Christians for too long we’ve held sex on this pedestal as the ultimate no no.  We’ve made sex a very black and white, in or out sin.  We’ve withheld grace from people who struggle with it, and allowed it to be the qualifier for your title as Christian.  Are you a horrible, graceless, angry, selfish person?  As long as you’re still a virgin before your wedding night you are welcome to call yourself one of us!

In this regard I stand on my chair, fist in the air and shout yes!  Yes!  Let’s abandon this lie and open the doors to Christ’s kingdom wide open!  Let’s put down the stones and remove the heavy garments of shame we’ve heaped onto our brothers and sisters.  Let’s find the freedom in Christ from shame and guilt and darkness.  Let’s stop telling the lie that you are damaged goods.

And yet a still quiet voice reminds me not to trade one lie for another.  If the purity culture has gotten it wrong then how should we speak of sex?  What does God have to say about our bodies?  How should we handle this all?

Because the reality is I work with teenagers who are asking for answers to these questions.  I have two kids who will one day want to know when they should have sex and with whom and why and I want to be able to talk about it in a way that doesn’t idolize the throne of virginity but also still takes very seriously God’s opinion on the matter.  What exactly do I tell them?

This is a two part-er.  Tomorrow I’ll tell you what I’ve been thinking in regards to these questions.  In the meantime, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment