Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

It's the Second Week of September and I'm Already Over School...


We’re only a few weeks into school and there are some things that I’m already over.

The bus arriving at 7:30 am for starters.  Every morning is a fire drill no matter how prepared I am in advance.  I am absolutely, positively “that” mom who gets her kid onto the bus while wearing her pajamas every morning.  Pajamas and usually no bra.  And also often my husband’s shoes ‘cause there the only ones by the door.  Fortunately my kid’s “bus” is a big, white suburban that comes right to our door, so my only interaction is with the bus driver and not other parents.  (Which don’t even get me started on how thankful I am that Monster is on a bus that comes to our house and not one at a stop that he could miss every day.  Cause he would miss it.  Every.  Day.)

I miss lazy mornings where we could all wear our pj’s until like 10am.  Monster and Toots used to wake up at 7 and then come hang out in my bed for like an hour.  We eased into our mornings.  Now I’ve got to get Monster up and running by 6:45 and I’ve only managed one sip of coffee before he’s out the door at 7:30

And lunches.  I’m sick of lunches.  By Thursday nights I’m sick of peanut butter and jelly or turkey and cheese.  I’m tired of trying to find fruit that hasn’t rotted.  I’m tired of trying to find something “treat” like for his lunch because I put gummy bears in his lunch on the first day of school like an idiot and now he needs a treat every day.  Every.  Single. Day.

And the papers.  I have one pre-schooler and I’m drowning in a sea of paperwork.  How do you parents with multiple school age kids do it???  That kid brings home more things for me to read and coordinate.  And I can’t just tuck it away because I have that “out of sight, out of mind” syndrome where I immediately forget anything that isn’t right in front of my face (hence the million to do lists I operate by).  But I can’t leave it out because eventually our whole house would be covered in stacks of paper from pre-school like an episode of “Hoarders.”  I need someone to come over and deal with the papers.

And the communicating.  They need to teach a class at curriculum night entitled how to keep your spouse informed about all the school things.  By the time Tommy gets home it’s a mad race to get those kids in bed and then at 7 it’s wine time and I’ve already forgotten about all the papers and everything else I was supposed to tell him. 

Like an idiot I signed up to be a room parent and now I’m supposed to come up with some sort of “theme basket” to auction off at the fundraising gala.  The email went out yesterday requesting the room parents to reply back with their theme.  It’s been less than 24 hours and everyone else has responded to the email.  Except me.  As a matter of fact, I’d forgotten all about it until I started writing this post.  I’m going to be that room parent this year, aren’t I?  Our basket is going to be the sad-looking one with an unidentifiable theme and nothing of any value.  Crap.

Someone please send help.  Paper organization systems are acceptable.  Or “theme basket” ideas.  Or wine.  Wine is always helpful.

Happy School Year, friends.  Anyone else over it already?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Col,
    Hang in there! Here are some interesting basket ideas I saw online. ;)
    New parents basket, kids busy basket, fitness fanatic basket or stick to what you know... wine basket, coffee lovers basket, or maybe even combine your love of mornings with a basket.... easy Sunday morning basket (easy music CD, breakfast fixings, blanket, slippers, stuff like that). I know you'll come up with something great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! THANK YOU! This is why I have creative friends! These are great ideas.

    Thanks pal!

    ReplyDelete